It’s a new year and a fresh start. If you have been thinking about getting braces, then now is the perfect time. Braces will not only give you straight teeth and a beautiful smile, they can offer other health benefits as well.
Who Needs Braces?
If you are suffering from any of the following problems, then you might benefit from orthodontic treatment.
- Braces can correct overbites and underbites.
- Braces can straighten crooked teeth, correct crowding problems and align your teeth for a beautiful smile.
- Braces can alleviate jaw pressure and help you chew your food.
- Orthodontic treatment, in conjunction with other medical treatments, can also improve breathing in some situations.
What to Expect?
Orthodontic appointments start with a consultation. During this appointment Dr. Ball will discuss the general problems with your teeth and bite and give you an idea of the treatment. After this records appointment will be done and the treatment plan finalized.
Regardless of what type of treatment you choose, you will be required to attend regular appointments, so we can assess the progress and make adjustments. You may experience soreness in the few days after each follow up appointment. Don’t panic, it is only your teeth getting used to the pressure of the newly adjusted wire or aligner.
You will be responsible for keeping up on your dental hygiene (regular brushing and flossing) to prevent cavities or plaque build-up. It is also advisable that you avoid certain foods during your orthodontic treatments, as they may damage your braces and set back the overall treatment process.
What Type of Treatment is Right for You?
The type of orthodontic treatment that is right for you will greatly depend on what type of orthodontic needs you have. Two of the more popular choices that are applied to many orthodontic needs are:
- Traditional metal braces – this approach is tried, tested and true and is the most popular and cost-effective approach. Traditional metal braces consist of brackets that are fastened to each tooth and connected with wire. This wire is adjusted to align and straighten your teeth.
- Invisalign braces – this type of orthodontic procedure uses custom fit clear, plastic aligners that adjust and straighten your teeth over a period of time.
Why not start off the new year with a resolution to fix your teeth and bite! The end result of perfectly aligned teeth and a beautiful smile will make the journey well worth it. If you have any questions about the various orthodontic treatments available or would like to book your initial exam, please contact us today. I look forward to working with you.